Saddle River Fire Department History
Established in 1912, our founding members would be dispatched via a series of gongs placed throughout town, 8 in total. The gongs were made by heating and bending railroad ties into circular rings and was operated by banging the railroad tie with a hammer. Each firefighter who responded would bring his own team of horses to the Firehouse Barn, with the first arriving member hitching his team of horses to the wagon that had a tank of water on it and proceed to the fire. The firefighter who used his horses to pull the wagon was paid $5 for his horse teams service. In 1925, the department purchased its first custom build fire engine.